Once your child starts school, lice becomes a sudden and very real worry. What's even scarier than the lice themselves are the possible side effects from the chemicals in over-the-counter lice treatments. Wouldn't it be great if there were a natural way you could keep your family from getting lice in the first place? The good news there is.
Tips for Lice Prevention:
- Coconut, tea tree oil, lavander, eucalyptus, rosemary, lemon grass, and peppermint are scents popularly believed to repel lice. Using any coconut scented shampoo and conditioner is an easy way to increase your defense. Adding a teaspoon each of tea tree oil and lavender oil, or any of the above mentioned scents, to the bottle should help further. Alternatively, you can purchase a ready-to-go product such as the all natural and 95% effective shampoo and conditioning spray by Suzette's Care.
- Spritz your child's hair and back pack with a repellent daily before heading off to school. For a DIY spray, combine 10 drops of lavender essential oil, and two ounces of water in a spray bottle. You can add tea tree oil for an extra boost, but may find that scent not quite as lovely.
- Remind your children to never share combs, brushes, hair accessories, hats or clothes.
- Tie back long hair-braids, clips, and barrettes are all helpful.
- If your child does end up with lice, contact his or her care provider immediately, and consider a more natural (but still highly effective) treatment and removal method such as those by Suzette's Care.
Take special note:
Be careful with eucalyptus and peppermint oils as they can be dangerous for the breathing of children under age two and should probably be avoided on children under the age of five.
Rosemary may not be safe during pregnancy (it may increase blood pressure and cause contractions). Never use an undiluted essential oil directly on the skin. As always, consult your child's care provider before starting any home made or professional treatment or prevention method. If you or your child is scratching or has irritated skin after application, discontinue use immediately.
Have you or your children had lice before? How did you deal with it?